Wednesday, November 26, 2008

First Buck!!!!




Buck Fever has hit my house like an epidemic flu! =) I have 2 very happy guys outside skinning one BIG deer! Nasty! I was not raised by or with hunters- it has been an acquired excitement. I love that they get so excited- but I do get grossed out pretty easily. To be honest- it's hard for me to imagine ever wanting to shoot that beautiful animal- but to each his own. But I do respect the passion!

This is a sweet story- the guy pictured with my son is the man that actually took him hunting. He is "Mr. DR" - I'll keep it to that. He is one of our very favorite people and one of the most highly respected men I know. He is such a great friend and mentor to our family. We go to church with him, he is a deacon with my husband and a revered Sunday School teacher. He is a very avid hunter and fisher and holds treasured secrests of where the "big ones" are of all types of game! He has such a love for the outdoors.

Mr. DR called yesterday and asked what his hunting buddy was doing. Of course, he was playing video games! He asked if he could join him the next evening (today) for a hunt. And of course we said Yes- and were very excited and honored that he thought enough of M to want to take him! He is the exact role model I want for my child! My husband was upset thinking he wouldn't get to go because he couldn't get off to go- he didn't think DR would want to take him by himself. But that's what he intended! M was very excited.

He went thinking he could only kill a doe. It was on very restricted private property. But when he called me this evening he told me it was a 5 point! He was so excited- and man, DR was too!! The guy told him he could kill a buck- so a buck it was! It weighed 190 lbs.

It was too funny- DR told me he was starving after just 5 minutes on the stand. DR told him he'd have to wait. M told him his Daddy always took snack. Naturally, DR said- "Well, I ain't your Daddy!" HAHAHAHA!!! =)

Then he spotted the buck. M said he was scared to shoot (he has been popped in the head by a gun before) and the buck walked. It came back a few minutes later. He said he was scared again. DR said- "Well, give me that gun- I'll shoot him!" HA! That's all it took. M got a good shot on that bucks shoulder and dropped him.

Then DR told me he was "no loader". He said he dragged that deer a mile and had him up on the 4 wheeler except for the leg. DR said "M, grab that leg for me". He said he couldn't get it! HA! I told him that that one leg weighed as much as M! He only weighs 45 lbs! So they had a great time!

DR brought him out to the house and they took lots of pictures. It's like early Christmas around here. M has stars in his eyes. This is his 3rd year and 3rd deer. He loves to hunt. He said that is the one thing his Daddy teaches him- (HA) and will always do it. -Isn't that hilarious!

So, today was special to our family. These are great memories for 'M'- and I could not be happier that they were made with Mr. DR. He is such a blessing to our family.

Thank you Mr. DR- this has been a great day for M. You'll never know how much it has meant to us. We love you!



Promise of Joy:
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.
3 John 1:4


This verse makes me thing of Mr. DR- because of his teaching and his influence, there are many walking in God's truth. He will never know the lives he has touched until one day the Lord might show him. God Bless you!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wahoooooooooooooo M!!!! i'm so excited for you!!!!